Legal Advisory Board Members
Website THE J INITIATIVE
The J Healthcare Initiative is a registered non-for-profit Canadian organization with focus on reducing the number of deaths due to toxic drug supply that is rampant in Canada. Our organization serves the unhoused People Who Use Drugs (PWUD). We are committed in harm-reduction practices and strives to innovate harm-reduction protocols in shelters by working together with researchers, community peers and other non-profit organizations. Aside from that, we equip students and the public to be able to confidently respond in case they witnessed an overdose. We believe that healthcare is for everyone, including those who are in the alleys. At the JHI, we honor the wisdoms of those with lived experience (unhoused, former substance user, etc). Overdose response can be approached in a way that is trauma-informed. At the JHI, we do campaigns on safer consumption, overdose prevention and harm-reduction practices.
Non-profit NGO with direct impact in the alleys and some of the poorest neighbourhoods in Canada and the U.S.
As a Legal Advisory Board Member, you will be part of a collaborative team committed to our vision of healthcare for all. The member will bring their legal knowledge and experience to provide strategic guidance, ensure adherence to legal standards, and contribute to policy development within the J Initiative. This role involves significant interaction with the organization’s executive leadership, staff members, and other board members.
1. Provide legal advice on a wide range of issues, including regulatory compliance, risk management, intellectual property, contracts, and other legal matters affecting the organization.
2. Review the organization’s policies, procedures, and actions to ensure they comply with the relevant laws and regulations.
3. Attend regular board meetings and actively participate in board committees.
4. Contribute to the development of the organization’s strategic plan and ensure it aligns with the mission and legal framework.
5. Support the organization’s advocacy efforts by providing insights and recommendations based on legal expertise.
6. Assist with identifying potential legal issues and offer proactive solutions.
7. Collaborate with other board members and the leadership team to promote and uphold the organization’s mission and vision.
1. A Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school.
2. A current license to practice law.
3. At least two years of experience in legal practice, preferably in a field relevant to our organization’s work.
4. Excellent understanding of the not-for-profit sector and associated legal matters.
5. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to work collaboratively and constructively with diverse stakeholders.
6. A commitment to promoting access to justice and respect for human rights.
This is a voluntary position requiring approximately 10 hours per month, including preparation for and attendance at board meetings, which occur quarterly. Board members are also expected to participate in ad hoc meetings and discussions as needed.
While this is a non-remunerated role, serving on the J Initiative’s Legal Advisory Board provides a valuable opportunity to make a significant impact in promoting access to justice for marginalized communities. Additionally, it offers an excellent networking platform within the legal, not-for-profit, and human rights sectors.
The J Initiative is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity organization. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds, regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, or nationality, to apply.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
We thank you for your interest in this opportunity and for your dedication to fostering a better world!
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
To apply for this job please visit www.volunteermatch.org.